A "Viewport" that exists in model space...

Posted (edited)

Long shot here, but does anyone know of a trick or workaround (even lisp, .net, vba, anything) to be able to have a "viewport" in model space that will show a live view of somewhere else in model space? Even a workaround of being able to XREF the current drawing would be great.

I have many floor plans in a single dwg, and I want to be able to show the walls coming down from above overlayed onto the floor plan below. Currently we are using blocks, which need manually updated every time there is a change above.

I know I can create a viewport in paper space and overlay it there, but then we don't have the visuals in model space. 

an XREF is another idea (1 floor plan per file), but that goes against our current office workflow

Just seeing if anyone has any fresh ideas

Thanks 

Edited by EYNLLIB

You can create viewports in model space with the VPORTS command. I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but might be worth checking out.

10 minutes ago, Cad64 said:

You can create viewports in model space with the VPORTS command. I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but might be worth checking out.

I'm looking for something that works essentially the same as a viewport in paper space, but only within model space.

A box with a view that shows another area in model space that I can modify layers within